Innovative Partnership with Uber Health
Enabling Value Network to Drive Transportation Efficiency,
Behavioral/Mental Health Patient Satisfaction
Andrea J. Wanat, MA, CPP, Vice President of Operations, Value Network with Anne D. Constantino, President and Chief Executive Officer, Horizon Corporations and Value Network Board Vice President.
By Peter Ciotta
For many, transportation to an appointment with a behavioral or mental health professional is not an issue. Access to a reliable car, or the ability to call on a family member or trusted friend, are readily at hand. And with this “reliability” comes the safe assumption that any feelings of reluctance or even shame are not present; clearing the way for efficient trips, and most importantly, consistent care.
Reverse this picture; and replace this situation with reliance on public or provided modes of transportation, and different stories emerge: “I can’t get there on time taking the bus.” “Who do I call if I have an emergency late at night?” “It makes me nervous that people can see me getting in a marked taxi to go to see a counselor for drug addiction.”
The social determinant of health known as “efficient and stigma-free transportation” has been a significant challenge grappled with for years by our region’s leading behavioral and mental health service providers including BestSelf Behavioral Health ; Endeavor Health Services ; Horizon Health Services ; and Spectrum Health & Human Services .
The new news is that over the past 14 months the dynamics of this often-complex issue have dramatically changed for the better!
First, came the 1st Quarter of 2018 founding of Value Network, a behavioral health care collaborative (BHCC) independent practice association (IPA) initially comprised of lead network providers BestSelf, Endeavor, Horizon, and Spectrum.
And most recently, Value Network’s implementation of a Millennium Innovation Program-supported relationship with Uber Health to provide transportation to clients of VN’s lead network providers (BestSelf, Endeavor, Horizon, and Spectrum).
According to the Value Network team, the rides service provided through the VN/Uber health relationship meets all Protected Health Information (PHI) requirements. Drivers — as with regular Uber — do not know the identity of their patients nor the reason for their ride destination. The result has been a rapid escalation of usage, and a dramatic decrease of stigma.
“In three months, we’ve quadrupled our usage,” explained Michelle Curto, Vice President of Administrative Operations for Horizon Corporations (Horizon Health Services, Horizon Village, Health Management Group). “There’s a lot of excitement around this on both the patient side and the clinician side.”
“The fact that patients have access to Uber to see their healthcare provider, you just see a different look in their face,” Michelle continued. “They just feel less stigmatized. It’s seamless. It’s no different than if we’re Ubering to dinner or Ubering to your doctor.”
“When we think about access to care, health outcomes, preventing re-admissions to hospitalizations and helping with engagement, these are all the reasons this is taking off.” Michelle concluded.
To learn more about Value Network and this transportation innovation, Millennium interviewed Andrea J. Wanat, MA, CPP, Vice President of Operations, Value Network; Michelle Curto, Vice President of Administrative Operations, Horizon Corporations; and Megan Dumpleton, MS, CHES, Project Manager, Value Network.
Please click on the following photos or links for a series of brief video discussions:
Meet Value Network – Combining Strengths, Best Practices of Region’s All Star Providers
Andrea J. Wanat, MA, CPP, Vice President of Operations, explains how Value Network originated from a vision to combine and deploy on behalf of clients the tremendous abilities and best practices of Western New York’s exemplary mental health and substance abuse providers … Best Self, Endeavor, Horizon and Spectrum.
Value Network – Setting, Supporting, Delivering on ‘High Standards’ of Care
Andrea J. Wanat, MA, CPP, Vice President of Operations, discusses the “work” of Value Network to establish, support and ultimately drive the highest standards of care.
Seeking Community Solution to Transportation Social Determinant of Health Challenge
Michelle Curto, Vice President of Administrative Operations, Horizon Corporations describes how collaboration between Horizon, Best Self, Spectrum and Endeavor resulted in a Millennium Innovation Program supported “community solution”…
Uber Health: ‘Awesome’ Innovative Solution to Medicaid Transportation Stigma
Michelle Curto, Vice President of Administrative Operations, Horizon Corporations explains how Uber Health is helping to remove the stigma behavioral and mental health patients often feel with traditional modes of provided transportation.
How Value Network Supports Uber Health Partner Implementation
Megan Dumpleton, MS, CHES, Project Manager, explains Value Network’s key role in driving and supporting Uber Health implementation with partners.
Results: Over 1200 Uber Health Rides in Month of October and Growing!
Michelle Curto, Vice President of Administrative Operations, Horizon Corporations explains how the Uber Health transportation solution is dramatically improving access to care, leading to better health outcomes including avoidance of hospitalizations.
About Value Network
Value Network offices are within the Horizon Corporation administrative offices at 55 Dodge Road in Getzville, NY.
Andrea Wanat provides a tour of the Horizon/Value Network offices and employee commons.
Partnership and Innovation for Healthcare
55 Dodge Road • Getzville, NY 14068 • 716-831-2700
Value Network is a robust behavioral health care collaborative (BHCC) independent practice association (IPA) that enhances quality care through clinical integration, aligned financial incentives, the use of community-based recovery support services, and the collection and analysis of quality and service data to improve behavioral and physical health outcomes. Our lead network providers are BestSelf Behavioral Health, Endeavor Health Services, Horizon Health Services, and Spectrum Health and Human Services.
The Value Network Mission
Our mission is simple: to design and implement a health service delivery system that improves the quality, cost effectiveness, and overall experience of care in Western New York.
• Allegany Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, Inc.
• Baker Victory Services
• BestSelf Behavioral Health, Inc.
• Beacon Center
• Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers, Inc.
• Child & Family Services of Erie County
• Community Action Organization
• Compeer West, Inc.
• Conifer Park
• Directions in Independent Living, Inc.
• Endeavor Health Services
• Evergreen Health (EHS,Inc.)
• Harmonia Collaborative Care (previously known as Community Concern of WNY, Inc.)
• Horizon Health Services
• Housing Options made Easy, Inc.
• Living Opportunities of DePaul
• Monsignor Carr Institute (Catholic Charities of Buffalo)
• New Directions Youth and Family Services
• Northwest Community Mental Health Center
• Restoration Society, Inc.
• Spectrum Health and Human Services
• Transitional Services, Inc.
• Western New York Independent Living
• Allegany Rehabilitation Association, Inc.
• BestSelf-HUNNY Health Home
• BryLin Hospital
• Buffalo Psychiatric Center
• Buffalo Urban League
• Buffalo City Mission
• Catholic Charities of Buffalo
• Catholic Health System
• Catholic Medical Partners IPA CIPA Western NY
• Cattaraugus Rehabilitation Center
• Cazenovia Recovery Systems, Inc.
• Chautauqua Alcoholism & Substance Abuse Council
• Chautauqua Opportunities, Inc.
• Children’s Hospital Buffalo Psychiatry Clinic
• Community Missions of Niagara Frontier
• Compeer International
• Compeer West, Inc.
• Coordinated Care Services, Inc.
• Council on Addiction Recovery Services, Inc. (CAReS)
• Crisis Services (Suicide Prevention and Crisis Service, Inc.)
• Elmwood Health Clinic
• Erie County Council for the Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
• Erie County Medical Center
• Family & Children’s Service of Niagara
• Family Help Center
• Finger Lakes Performing Provider System
• Genesee/Orleans Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
• Greater Buffalo United Independent Practice Association
• Health Home Partners of WNY, LLC
• HEALTHeLINK RHIO
• Healthy Community Alliance
• Herrington Family Chiropractic Care
• Horizon Village
• Jewish Family Services of Buffalo and Erie County
• Kaleida Health & Children’s Psychiatry Clinic
• Kalos Health
• Liberty Home Care
• Living Opportunities of DePaul
• Margaret Stutzman Addiction Treatment Center
• Mental Health Association of Erie County
• Mental Health Association of Genesee & Orleans County
• Mental Health Association of Niagara County, Inc.
• Mental Health Association of Rochester and Monroe County
• Millennium Collaborative Care PPS – Erie County Medical Center
• Native American Community Services of Erie and Niagara Counties
• Neighborhood Health Center
• Niagara Hospice
• Niagara Falls Memorial Health Home
• Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center
• Northpointe Council, Inc.
• Oak Orchard Health
• Oishei Healthy Kids
• Olean General Hospital
• Parkview Health Services
• People Inc – Licensed Home Health Care
• People Inc.
• Renaissance Addiction Services, Inc.
• Southern Tier Environments for Living, Inc.
• The Dale Association, Inc.
• The Resource Center
• TLC Health Network
• University at Buffalo Family Medicine (UBMD)
• Western New York Children’s Psychiatric Center
• WNY United Against Drug & Alcohol Abuse
• Wyoming County Community Health System