Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Program (DSRIP)
In 2015, Governor Cuomo announced that the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) program, which enables New York to invest $7.3 billion of Medicaid savings over the next five years into transforming its health care system, would make specific funding allocations to 25 provider networks across New York state. DSRIP is a statewide initiative to fundamentally restructure the health care delivery system by reinvesting in the Medicaid program, with the primary goal of reducing avoidable hospital use by 25 percent over five years.
Millennium Collaborative Care is a Performing Provider Systems in Western New York.
In order to implement necessary changes, Governor Cuomo established Performing Provider Systems across New York State. Millennium Collaborative Care was identified as one of the Performing Provider Systems in Western New York.
The Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Program (DSRIP) is designed to stabilize the state’s safety-net healthcare provider system and re-align the states delivery system. The overarching goal of DSRIP is to help New York and its health care providers achieve the triple aim of improved population health, improved quality care, and controlled costs.
Specifically, DSRIPs goals are to:
- Reduce avoidable hospital admissions and emergency department use by 25% over 5 years
- Preserve and transform NYS’ fragile healthcare safety net system
- Improve public health measures consistent with NYS’ prevention agenda
DSRIP themes will not be unique to Medicaid, and will become a way of life for the healthcare industry:
- Putting “system” back into healthcare system through collaboration, collaboration, collaboration…
- Integration of medical care, behavior health, substance abuse and other care i.e. dental.
- Utilizing electronic health information to improve health.
- Managing populations and not just individual patients.
- Addressing the social determinants of health.
- Receiving pay based on outcomes (value-based), not fee for service.